Photo Cred: @808juan
The origin of Father's Day begins with Sonora Smart Dodd. In 1909, after listening to a Mother's Day sermon, she wondered why mothers were celebrated on a certain day while fathers were not. As a child who was being raised by her father, it meant a lot to her that fathers should have a celebratory day as well. Dodd went to the Spokane Ministerial Alliance and suggested that June 5th, her own father's birthday, should be a day of honor for fathers around the country. The Spokane Ministerial Alliance decided that the third Sunday of June would become the official date for Father's Day instead.
|Father & Daughter|
Photo Cred: @ray_fit
Father's Day Fun Facts:
- In 1910, the first Father's Day was celebrated in Spokane, Washington.
- In 1916, President Woodrow Wilson approved of the idea of a national Father's Day, but he did not sign a proclamation for the holiday.
- In 1966, President Lyndon Johnson declared the third Sunday in June would be Father's Day.
- In 1972, President Richard Nixon made the Father's Day proclamation permanent.
- Currently, there are an estimated 70,100,000 fathers across the United States!
Father's Day Jokes:
- Father's Day was near when I brought my three-year-old son, Tyler, to the card store. Inside, I showed him the cards for dads and told him to pick one. When I looked back, Tyler was picking up one card after another, opening them up and quickly shoving them back into slots, every which way. "Tyler, what are you doing?" I asked. "Haven't you found a nice card for Daddy yet?" Then he replied, "No, I'm looking for one with money in it."
- How do fathers exercise on the beach?
- They suck in their stomachs every time they see a bikini.
- How do you know your dad is planning for the future?
- He buys two cases of beer instead of one.
- A teacher is on the phone and says, "You say Michael has a cold and can't come to school today? To whom am I speaking?" The voice on the phone replies, "This is my father."
- A book never written: "Fatherly Advice" by Buck L. Upson.
Father's Day Quotes:
- "My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person, he believed in me."
- Jim Valvano
- "I'm a father; that's what matters most. Nothing matters more."
- Gordon Brown
- "It is a wise father that knows his own child."
- William Shakespeare
- "I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father's protection."
- Sigmund Freud
- "You don't have to deserve your mother's love. You have to deserve your father's."
- Robert Frost
Father's Day Destinations:
- Go to the park, and have a family picnic or barbeque with your dad!
- Drive to the golf course, and play a round of golf with your pops!
- Travel to the lake or river, and go fishing with your dad!
- Stay home, and serve your father breakfast in bed (if he's not already up)!
- Stay home, and read about Father's Day on WeirdHoliday.com with your dad.
Alternative titles for this holiday include: National Father's Day, International Father's Day, Father Day, National Father Day, and International Father Day.
Father's Day is celebrated in June which is: Adopt-A-Cat Month, Fight the Filthy Fly Month, Great Outdoors Month, LGBT Pride Month, National Accordion Awareness Month, National Candy Month, National Dairy Month, National Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Month, National Rose Month, National Turkey Lovers' Month, and National Zoo and Aquarium Month!
Do you have another interesting fact or joke about Father's Day? Leave a comment below and tell us what you think! We might even add your information to this article!