Friday, June 21, 2013
Go Skateboarding Day (June 21st)
Go Skateboarding Day
June 21st is Go Skateboarding Day!
Skateboarding originated in the 1940s. According to popular belief, Californian surfers enjoyed surfing so much, that when there was no waves in the ocean, the surfers still wanted to surf. So the idea of creating a board with wheels on it came about, so the surfers could still do what they loved. Today, skateboarding is recognized worldwide as an action sport, and it is one of the main sports in the
. Popular skateboard tricks include an ollie, pop shove-it, boardslide, boneless, no comply, kick flip, heel flip, impossible, and 360 flip. Tony Hawk is arguably the most famous skateboarder, becoming the first skateboarder to land a “900.”
Longboarding in Pittsburg
Celebrate this weird holiday by going outside and skating! If you don’t know how to skate, go out and teach yourself! Try to complete a basic trick, such as a manual or ollie. Drop down the half pipe at the community skatepark. Try to grind a rail! Wish a friend or fellow skateboarder a “Happy Go Skateboarding Day!” If you are an experienced skateboarder, teach yourself a new trick. If you are uninterested in actually using a skateboard, try playing a skating game such as
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater HD
. However you decide to celebrate Go Skateboarding Day, have fun, stay safe, and remember to wear protective gear! All the professionals do it.
Go Skateboarding Day Fun Facts:
- In 1959, the Roller Derby Skateboard (the first commercially manufactured skateboard) went on the market. The Roller Derby Skateboard had wheels that were made of clay.
- In Norway, the ownership, use, and sale of skateboards was banned from 1978-1989.
- In the 1970’s, Frank Nasworthy added polyurethane wheel technology to skateboards.
- The very first precision-bearing skateboard wheels were created by Road Rider.
- In 1976, the first outdoor skatepark was created in Florida.
Go Skateboarding Day Jokes:
- What did the Lion say when he saw a boy on a skateboard?
- Meals on wheels!
- What is the hardest thing about riding a skateboard?
- The road.
- A boy and a girl were walking home from school one day, and the boy says “I have a skateboard. Skateboards are for boys only!” Hearing this, the girl asked her mother for a skateboard. So the next day they were walking home, and the girl shows the boy her skateboard. Then, the boy said “Well, footballs are for boys. You can’t have one!” So the girl asked her mother for a football. The next day, they were walking home, and the girl showed the boy her football. Then the boy said, “Okay then.” He pulled down his pants and said, “Your mom can’t possibly buy you one of these!” So the next day, they were walking home, and the boy said, “You cant tell me you’ve got one.” The girl pulled her pants down and said, “My mommy said as long as I have one of these, I can get as many of those as I want.”
- Three men died in a car accident and met Jesus Christ at the Pearly Gates. The Lord spoke unto them saying, “I will ask you each a simple question. If you tell the truth I will allow you into heaven, but if you lie, Hell is waiting for you.” To the first man the Lord asked, “How many times did you cheat on your wife?” The first man replied, “Lord, I was a good husband. I never cheated on my wife.” The Lord replied, “Very good! Not only will I allow you in, but for being faithful to your wife I will give you a huge mansion and a limo for your transportation. To the second man the Lord asked, “How many times did you cheat on your wife?” The second man replied, “Lord, I cheated on my wife twice.” The Lord replied, “I will allow you to come in, but for your unfaithfulness, you will get a four-bedroom house and a BMW.” To the third man the Lord asked, “So, how many times did you
cheat on your wife?” The third man replied, “Lord, I cheated on my wife about 8 times.” The Lord replied, “I will allow you to come in, but for your unfaithfulness, you will get a one-room apartment, and a Yugo for your transportation.” A couple hours later the second and third men saw the first man crying his eyes out. “Why are you crying,” the two men asked, “if you got the mansion and limo?” The first man replied, “I’m crying because I saw my wife a little while ago, and she was riding a skateboard!”
- How many skateboarders does it take to screw in a light bulb?
- Just one, but it takes twenty tries.
Go Skateboarding Day Quotes:
- “I consider skateboarding an art form, a lifestyle and a sport. ‘Action sport’ would be the least offensive categorization.”
- Tony Hawk
- “When I was a kid, I always wanted to live in California because I liked skateboarding.”
- Demetri Martin
- “All I wanted to do was ride skateboards – I wanted to be a professional skateboarder. But I had this problem. I kept breaking half of my body skateboarding.”
- Travis Barker
- “For me, skateboarding is a lifestyle. I really don’t know anything different. My life revolves around skating. If I wasn’t a professional skateboarder, I’d still be skating every day.”
- Ryan Sheckler
- “Life is a lot like skateboarding.”
- Lil Wayne
Go Skateboarding Day Destinations:
- Go to the skatepark, and show off your skating skills!
- Drive (or skate) to the skate shop, and buy a new board or customize your own!
- Take a vacation to the West Coast, and ride a longboard near the coast.
- Visit the
Skateboarding Hall of Fame Museum
in Simi Valley, California.
- Stay home, and read about
Go Skateboarding Day
Alternative titles for this holiday include:
National Go Skateboarding Day
International Go Skateboarding Day
June 21st is also National Flip Flop Day and Take Your Dog To Work Day!
Go Skateboarding Day is celebrated in June which is: Adopt-A-Cat Month, Fight the Filthy Fly Month, Great Outdoors Month, LGBT Pride Month, National Accordion Awareness Month, National Candy Month, National Dairy Month, National Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Month, National Rose Month, National Turkey Lovers’ Month, and National Zoo and Aquarium Month!
Do you have another interesting fact or joke about Go Skateboarding Day or skateboards? Leave a comment below and tell us what you think! We might even add your information to this article!