|International Picnic Day|
Photo Cred: @petitbill
Picnics are a great way to spend the summer outdoors! Early during the Victorian era, picnics offered opportunities for men and women to spend time together outside. Typically, early picnics consisted of many people and a ton of elaborate food! Now, picnics are more laid back and usually occur between a few close friends or family. Picnic food includes fruit, bread, sandwiches, chips, soda, water, leftovers, or anything else that someone decides that they want to eat. International Picnic Day is a perfect occasion for people who want to enjoy a day in the park and spend time with the people they care about.
|Picnic by the Lake|
Photo Cred: @mylissecrystal
International Picnic Day Fun Facts:
- The first appearance of the word "picnic" in print can be found in the 1692 edition of Tony Willis's, Origines de la Langue Française, which mentions "pique-nique" as being a group of people in a restaurant who brought their own wine. In other words, BYOB.
- Picnics evolved from elaborate traditions of moveable outdoor feasts enjoyed by the wealthy to small-scale occasions enjoyed by anyone.
- In 2000, about 4,000,000 people attended a picnic in France that was about 600 miles long (about 1,000 kilometers long) to celebrate the first Bastille Day of the new Millennium.
- The longest picnic line measured 2,277 meters and was organized in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, on July 15, 2012, as part of the Kitchener Cityhood Centennial Celebration.
- The 1955 film Picnic was a multiple Oscar winner. The film has been remade twice, in 1986 and 2000.
International Picnic Day Jokes:
- Three old men were sitting on a front porch comparing their memories. The first one says "I remember being in a stroller, I must have been two." The second one says "I remember standing up in the crib and looking around." The third one says "You both have lousy memories, I remember going to a picnic with my dad and coming home with my mom."
- There were these two morons driving along the highway looking for a place to stop and picnic. The first moron says, "Let's stop here, and have our picnic under that tree." The other says, "No! Let's have it right here in the middle of the road." They fought for a bit, but finally agreed to have it in the middle of the road. All of a sudden, a car comes speeding towards them and has to swerve into the tree to keep from hitting them. The second moron says, "See? If we were under that tree, we'd be dead now!"
- A man says to a woman, "Do you know the difference between a penis and a chicken leg?" The woman replies, "No." The man then asks, "Well, do you want to go for a picnic?"
- Three turtles, Joe, Steve, and Poncho, decide to go on a picnic. Joe packs the picnic basket with cookies, bottled sodas, and sandwiches. The trouble is, the picnic site is 10 miles away, so the turtles take 10 whole days to get there. By the time they do arrive, everyone's whipped and hungry. Joe takes the stuff out of the basket, one by one. He takes out the sodas and realizes that they forgot to bring a bottle opener. Joe & Steve beg Poncho to turn back home and retrieve it, but Poncho flatly refuses, knowing that they'll eat everything by the time he gets back. Somehow, after about two hours, the turtles manage to convince Poncho to go, swearing on their great-grand turtles' graves that they won't touch the food. So, Poncho sets off down the road, slow and steady. Twenty days pass, but no Poncho. Joe and Steve are hungry and puzzled, but a promise is a promise. Another day passes, and still no Poncho, but a promise is a promise. After three more days pass without Poncho in sight, Steve starts getting restless. "I NEED FOOD!" he says with a hint of dementia in his voice. "NO!" Joe retorts. "We promised." Five more days pass. Joe realizes that Poncho probably skipped out to the Burger King down the road, so the two turtles weakly lift the lid, get a sandwich, and open their mouths to eat. But then, right at that instant, Poncho pops out behind a rock. "Just for that, I'm not going."
- Who comes to a picnic but is never invited?
International Picnic Day Quotes:
- "I'm into all that sappy stuff - a surprise picnic, nice dinner, or traveling. I'm kind of an old romantic."
- Will Estes
- "Kissing a man with a beard is a lot like going to a picnic. You don't mind going through a little bush to get there!"
- Minnie Pearl
- "Tea to the English is really a picnic indoors."
- Alice Walker
- "The examined life is no picnic."
- Robert Fulghum
- "Death is the sound of distant thunder at a picnic."
- W. H. Auden
International Picnic Day Destinations:
- Drive to the park, and have a picnic with your family!
- Go to the lake with your girlfriend, and have a picnic on International Picnic Day!
- Find an open field, and lay out a blanket to have a picnic.
- Go to the store, and buy a picnic basket!
- Stay home, and read about International Picnic Day on WeirdHoliday.com!
Alternative titles for this holiday include: National Picnic Day, Picnic Day, International Picnics Day, National Picnics Day, and Picnics Day.
June 18th is also Go Fishing Day and National Cherry Tart Day!
National Apple Strudel Day is celebrated in June which is: Adopt-A-Cat Month, Fight the Filthy Fly Month, Great Outdoors Month, LGBT Pride Month, National Accordion Awareness Month, National Candy Month, National Dairy Month, National Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Month, National Rose Month, National Turkey Lovers' Month, and National Zoo and Aquarium Month!
Do you have another interesting fact or joke about International Picnic Day or picnics? Leave a comment below and tell us what you think! We might even add your information to this article!