|National Apple Strudel Day|
Photo Cred: @jianlianglei
Apple strudel is a type of sweet, layered pastry with apple filling inside. The filling is made of grated cooking apples (usually of a tart, crisp, and aromatic variety such as Winesap apples), sugar, cinnamon, raisins, and bread crumbs. Strudel uses an unleavened dough. The basic dough consists of flour, oil (or butter) and salt although as a household recipe, many variations exist. Apple strudel dough is a thin, elastic dough, the traditional preparation of which is a difficult process. The dough is kneaded by flogging, often against a table top. Filling is arranged in a line on a comparatively small section of dough, after which the dough is folded over the filling, and the remaining dough is wrapped around until all the dough has been used. The strudel is then oven baked, and served warm. Apple strudel is traditionally served in slices, sprinkled with powdered sugar.
|Apple Strudel & Ice Cream|
Photo Cred: @seldyloui
National Apple Strudel Day Fun Facts:
- The word "strudel" means "vortex," "whirlpool," or "eddy" in German. The word comes from the layers of dough that swirl throughout the filling.
- The oldest known recipe for apple strudel is from Austria in 1696.
- Apple strudel originated in Vienna, Austria.
- Apple strudel is especially popular in Austria and in European countries that belonged to the Austro-Hungarian empire in the past.
- Purists say that the dough when baking apple strudel should be so thin that you can read a newspaper through it, while a legend has it that the Austrian Emperor's perfectionist cook decreed that it should be possible to read a love letter through the dough.
National Apple Strudel Day Jokes:
- A British couple adopted an orphaned German baby. For five years the baby was silent, wouldn't cry, never said a word to any one. The parents, concerned that the child might have development disabilities, took him to specialist after specialist, and all concluded that the child was normal. On the child's sixth birthday the parents gave young Wolfgang an apple strudel. Wolfgang took one bite and said, "This apple strudel is a bit tepid." The parents look on in amazement, the mother asking, "Wolfgang, you've never spoken before. Why now after all these years?" Wolfgang looked her in the eye and says, "Up until now everything had been satisfactory."
- The dutiful Jewish son is sitting at his father's bedside. His father is near death. The father is weak and says to his son, "Son, that smell! Is your mother making my favorite apple strudel?" The son replies back, "Yes, Dad." The father, even weaker than before, asks, "If I could just have one more piece of your mother's apple strudel. Would you get me a piece?" The son says, "Yes, Father." The son leaves and walks toward kitchen. After a while, the son returns and sits down next to his father again. The father says, "Is that you son?" The boy replies, "Yes, Dad." Confused, the father asks, "Did you bring the apple strudel?" The son replies, "No, Father." The father, with all the energy that he has left, exclaims, "Why? It's my dying wish!" The boy calmly explains to the father, "Well Dad, Mom says the strudel is for the Sheva!"
- A Jewish mother asks her son, "Do you want some dessert? I've got some apple strudel and some cheesecake." The boy replies, "I'll have some cheesecake please." The mother, deeply hurt, exclaims, "So what's wrong with the strudel!?"
- A man looks into his lover's eyes in the heat of passion, and opens his heart to her, "Death by suffocation is a piece of apple strudel next to a night with you." He then gets up and proceeds to leave.
- A husband who fights with wife all day gets no piece at night... and we don't mean apple strudel.
National Apple Strudel Day Quotes:
- "I have no truck with lettuce, cabbage, and similar chlorophyll. Any dietitian will tell you that a running foot of apple strudel contains four times the vitamins of a bushel of beans."
- S.J. Perelman
- "Older women are like aging strudels - the crust may not be so lovely, but the filling has come at last into its own."
- Robert Farrar Capon
- "A child is born with the potential ability to learn Chinese or Swahili, play a kazoo, climb a tree, make a strudel or a birdhouse, take pleasure in finding the coordinates of a star. Genetic inheritance determines a child's abilities and weaknesses. But those who raise a child call forth from that matrix the traits and talents they consider important."
- Emilie Buchwald
- Hogan: "What about Schultz?"
Carter: "He won't talk."
LeBeau: "Not even to me, and I got him hooked on apple strudel."
Hogan and his men try to figure out what the Germans have been up to.
- "And I keep that toaster, you can come and be my strudel, b****."
- Lil Wayne from "Uptown" by Drake
National Apple Strudel Day Destinations:
- Drive to a German bakery and ask for apfelstrudel, the German word for apple strudel!
- Look for an apple orchard, and pick some fresh apples.
- Go to the library, and look for information about apple strudel.
- Stay home, and bake your own apple strudel with this amazing recipe!
- Stay home, and read about National Apple Strudel Day on WeirdHoliday.com!
Alternative titles for this holiday include: Apple Strudel Day and International Apple Strudel Day.
June 17th is also Bunker Hill Day and Eat Your Vegetables Day!
National Apple Strudel Day is celebrated in June which is: Adopt-A-Cat Month, Fight the Filthy Fly Month, Great Outdoors Month, LGBT Pride Month, National Accordion Awareness Month, National Candy Month, National Dairy Month, National Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Month, National Rose Month, National Turkey Lovers' Month, and National Zoo and Aquarium Month!
Do you have another interesting fact or joke about National Apple Strudel Day or apple strudel? Leave a comment below and tell us what you think! We might even add your information to this article!