|National Dump The Pump Day|
Photo Cred: @druablank
National Dump the Pump Day was created in 2005 by the American Public Transportation Association (APTA) to encourage people to save money and ride public transportation. Public transit can provide an economical way to save cash, especially when gas prices are high. The point of this unusual holiday is to limit the use of your automobile and save gas. Dump the Pump Day presents an ideal opportunity to use or buy an economical car such as a Smart car. National Dump the Pump Day offers a great opportunity for America to lessen its dependency on foreign oil, while making a positive impact towards reducing global warming and climate change.
|Old Gas Pump|
Photo Cred: @aprettylight
National Dump the Pump Day Fun Facts:
- According to the APTA Transit Savings Report, a two person household that downsizes to one car can save an average of $9,700 or more a year.
- In 2012, the United States took 10.5 billion trips using public transportation.
- Each day during the week, people board public transportation 35 million times.
- For every $1 billion invested in public transportation, 36,000 jobs are created.
- Public transportation in the United States saves 4.2 billion gallons of gasoline every year.
National Dump the Pump Day Jokes:
- Bill and Hillary are out driving in the country near Hillary's hometown. They are low on fuel so Bill pulls into a gas station for a fill-up. The attendant comes out and begins to pump gas into the First couple's gas tank. As he is doing this, he looks into the passenger window. "Hey, Hillary. We used to date in high school, do you remember me?" he asks. They chat for a few minutes, Bill pays and the First couple leaves. As they drive off, Bill is feeling very proud of himself and looks over at Hillary. "You used to date that guy? Just think what it would be like if you had married him instead of me," he says smugly. Hillary looks at Bill and shrugs. Then she replies, "Well I guess you'd be pumping gas and he would be the President."
- How high are gas prices in New York City?
- So high rats are carpooling in from New Jersey!
- Why do only 70 percent of Americans feel economic hardship because of $4/gallon gas?
- The other 30 percent own oil company stock!
- My wife told me she wanted to go out somewhere expensive... so I took her to the gas station.
- Gas has become so expensive that SUV now stands for "sport utility victim."
National Dump the Pump Day Quotes:
- "Our culture runs on coffee and gasoline, the first often tasting like the second."
- Edward Abbey
- "Ethanol doesn't burn cleaner than gasoline, nor is it cheaper."
- Jeff Goodell
- "I buy food and gasoline - that's it."
- Kat Dennings
- "If you look - look at - I mean, look at what's going on with your gasoline prices. They're going to go to $5, $6, $7 and we don't have anybody in Washington that calls OPEC and says, 'Fellas, it's time. It's over. You're not going to do it anymore.'"
- Donald Trump
- "Like the vast majority of my constituents, I continue to be concerned about record profits reported by petroleum companies at a time when consumers are paying record high prices for gasoline."
- Mike Rogers
National Dump the Pump Day Destinations:
- Walk to work instead of driving your car!
- Run to school or wherever you work.
- Go on a bike ride with your significant other on your favorite trail.
- Take a train or another form of public transportation into the city.
- Stay home, and read about National Dump The Pump Day on WeirdHoliday.com!
Alternative titles for this holiday include: Dump The Pump Day and International Dump The Pump Day.
June 20th is also American Eagle Day, National Ice Cream Soda Day, National Vanilla Milkshake Day, and Take Your Dog To Work Day!
National Dump The Pump Day is celebrated in June which is: Adopt-A-Cat Month, Fight the Filthy Fly Month, Great Outdoors Month, LGBT Pride Month, National Accordion Awareness Month, National Candy Month, National Dairy Month, National Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Month, National Rose Month, National Turkey Lovers' Month, and National Zoo and Aquarium Month!
Do you have another interesting fact or joke about National Dump The Pump Day or a way to save gas? Leave a comment below and tell us what you think! We might even add your information to this article!