|National Martini Day|
Photo Cred: @shortiiexx
National Martini Day is celebrated annually in honor the popular alcoholic beverage. If you go to the bar, and the bartender asks you to "name your poison," order a martini. It's the classy thing to do. The origin of the martini is currently unknown, but the earliest record of the "Martinez" can be found in Jerry Thomas’ 1862 book, How to Mix Drinks, or the Bon Vivant’s Companion. In 1888, the word Martini was first mentioned in The New and Improved Illustrated Bartenders' Manual by Harry Johnson. In 1911, Martini di Arma di Taggia served a cocktail made with gin, vermouth, orange bitters, and an olive garnish. Thus, the martini that we enjoy today was born.
Photo Cred: @tempemarketplace
National Martini Day Fun Facts:
- The Martini derived it's name from the city of Martinez, California (1887).
- Martini enthusiasts typically believe that a perfect martini must be served in a 4 ounce glass.
- It is widely believed that the Martini glass was invented during the Prohibition Era. The shape of the glass made it easy to dispose of the banned alcohol during a police incursion.
- The shape of the martini glass helps prevent the ingredients from separating.
- The Algonquin Hotel in New York City serves a martini that costs $10,000! The garnish that tops off the martini is a gorgeous, real radiant cut diamond.
National Martini Day Jokes:
- Charles Dickens strolls into a bar and orders up a martini. The bartender asks, "Olive or twist?"
- A businessman enters a tavern, sits down at the bar, and orders a double martini on the rocks. After he finishes the drink, he peeks inside his shirt pocket and orders the bartender to prepare another double martini. After he finishes his beverage, he again peeks inside his shirt pocket and orders the bartender to bring another double martini. The bartender says, "Look, sir, I'll bring you martinis all night long, but you have to tell me why you look inside your shirt pocket before you order a refill." The customer replies, "I'm peeking at a photo of my wife. When she starts to look good, I know it's time to go home."
- A man walked into a bar and ordered one martini after the other, each time removing the olives and placing them into a jar by his side. When the jar was filled with olives the man started to leave. When the bartender asked him what that was all about, he replied, "My wife just sent me out for a jar of olives."
- Martinis are like breasts... One isn't enough, and three are too many.
- A guy wandered into a bar and ordered a martini. The bartender brought it to him, and he drank it down. When he finished it, he started nibbling on the rim of the glass. He kept nibbling and nibbling until there was nothing left but the stem of the glass. He then threw the stem over his shoulder where it broke into pieces on the floor. By now, quite a few of the patrons are watching this go on. He ordered another martini, and repeated the performance; nibbling the rim of the glass around and around until there was nothing left but the stem, which he threw away over his shoulder. Several patrons are staring at him with their mouths open. He ordered a third martini and did it all over again; nibbling down to the stem and throwing the stem over his shoulder. After the fourth time, he paid his bill and left. All of the other barflies were staring at him in amazement. The bartender said, "That's the weirdest thing I ever saw!" Just then, a customer yelled out, "He's throwing away the best part!"
National Martini Day Quotes:
- "Martinis are the only American invention as perfect as a sonnet."
- H. L. Mencken
- "A man must defend his home, his wife, his children, and his martini."
- Jackie Gleason
- "I never go jogging, it makes me spill my martini."
- George Burns
- "He knows just how I like my martini - full of alcohol."
- Homer Simpson from The Simpsons: "I, (Annoyed Grunt) - Bot"
- "Happiness is... finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry."
- Johnny Carson
National Martini Day Destinations:
- Go to the library, and read the James Bond novel Diamonds Are Forever (1956), and learn why James Bond likes his martinis "shaken, not stirred."
- Go to the bar, and ask the bartender to pour you up a martini!
- Go on a date with your significant other, and order a martini for the both of you.
- Stay home, and throw a martini party at your house!
- Stay home, and read about National Martini Day on WeirdHoliday.com!
Alternative titles for this holiday include: International Martini Day, Martini Day, National Martinis Day, International Martinis Day, and Martinis Day.
June 19th is also Eat an Oreo Day, Juneteenth, and World Sauntering Day!
National Martini Day is celebrated in June which is: Adopt-A-Cat Month, Fight the Filthy Fly Month, Great Outdoors Month, LGBT Pride Month, National Accordion Awareness Month, National Candy Month, National Dairy Month, National Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Month, National Rose Month, National Turkey Lovers' Month, and National Zoo and Aquarium Month!
Do you have another interesting fact or joke about National Martini Day or martinis? Leave a comment below and tell us what you think! We might even add your information to this article!