|Social Media Day|
Photo Cred: @jeromelocson
Social Media Day was created by Mashable in 2010 to "recognize the digital revolution happening right before our eyes." Social media's origins can date all the way back to 1971, when Ray Tomlinson sent the first email ever to himself. Skipping ahead, in 1985, America Online (AOL) was created. Years later, Beverly Hills Internet (BHI) started Geocities, and it is currently owned by Yahoo! who offers it as a web hosting service for Japan. In 2003, Myspace was launched. Facebook was created in 2004. YouTube was invented in 2005. In 2006, Twitter was introduced to the internet. In 2013, Instagram had 100 million users storing 4 billion photos!
|Social Media Day Art|
Photo Cred: @cfernandez5
Social Media Day Fun Facts:
- If Facebook was a country, it would be more populated than the United States, with only China and India ahead of it.
- On average, users spend 20 minutes per visit on Facebook.
- The first video on YouTube was a 20 second clip that was published on April 23rd, 2005, at 8:27 pm called "Me at the zoo."
- @XboxSupport holds the Guinness World Record for the "Most Responsive Brand on Twitter."
- $#*! My Dad Says holds the Guinness World Record for the "First television show based on a Twitter feed."
Social Media Day Jokes:
- Facebook is the only place where it is acceptable to talk to a wall.
- A hacker briefly shut down Twitter last week. Millions of Twitter users were forced to talk to each other the old fashioned way... through Facebook.
- When I was kid, my social network was called "outside."
- I almost forgot to update my status about my run on the treadmill. What a waste of a workout that would have been!
- Google+ is like a gym membership. Everyone signs up for it but never uses it!
Social Media Day Quotes:
- "Social media is not about the exploitation of technology but service to community."
- Simon Mainwaring
- "There's a danger in the internet and social media. The notion that information is enough, that more and more information is enough, that you don't have to think, you just have to get more information - gets very dangerous."
- Edward de Bono
- "Human relationships used to be easy: you had friends, boy- or girlfriends, parents, children, and landlords. Now, thanks to social media, it's all gone sideways."
- Susan Orlean
- "People take things at face value on social media. Earnestness is the assumption."
- Mindy Kaling
- "At the end of the day, money is just a proxy for votes. That is what makes politics so vulnerable to social media."
- Sean Parker
Social Media Day Destinations:
- Join social media enthusiasts by hosting or attending a Social Media Day Meetup in your area.
- Sit on your computer chair, and browse through your favorite social media websites!
- Visit the Googleplex in Mountain View, California, and ask for a tour of the facility that brought you Google+!
- Visit Harvard University, the birthplace of Facebook.
- Stay home, and read about Social Media Day on WeirdHoliday.com!
This holiday has also been called: National Social Media Day, International Social Media Day, S M Day, SM Day, and SMDay.
June 30th is also Meteor Day!
Social Media Day is celebrated in June which is: Adopt-A-Cat Month, Fight the Filthy Fly Month, Great Outdoors Month, LGBT Pride Month, National Accordion Awareness Month, National Candy Month, National Dairy Month, National Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Month, National Rose Month, National Turkey Lovers' Month, and National Zoo and Aquarium Month!
Do you have another interesting fact or joke about Social Media Day or social media? Leave a comment below and tell us what you think! We might even add your information to this article!