|National Pina Colada Day|
Photo Cred: @asianbanjo
The origins of National Pina Colada Day are currently unknown, but Google recognizes this holiday as an official holiday! A piña colada is a sweet cocktail which consists of rum, cream of coconut, and pineapple juice. The alcoholic beverage is typically blended or shaken with ice. Common garnishes for piña coladas are cherries, a slice of pineapple, or both. Next time the bartender asks you to "name your poison," don't order a martini or any similar alcoholic beverages. Simply order a tall piña colada in a Poco Grande glass! It will put a smile on your face, and send your mind through memories of past vacations!
|Piña Colada by the Pool|
Photo Cred: @megan_flynn
National Pina Colada Day Fun Facts:
- Piña colada is Spanish, and it stands for "strained pineapple."
- According to popular belief, the first piña colada was created by Ramón "Monchito" Marrero on August 16, 1954, at the Caribe Hilton's Beachcomber Bar in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- The piña colada has been the official beverage of Puerto Rico since 1978.
- There are many different variations of the piña colada, including the Caribou Lou, iguana colada, King Henry, lava flow, piñita colada, and much more.
- At Rumfest 2010, Eric Lorincz, Jake Burger, Papa Jules, Roman Milostivy, and Tony Conigliaro attempted to set the world record for the largest piña colada. They mixed 100 liters or rum, 100 liters of coco cream and milk, and 100 liters of pineapple juice in an industrial cement mixer to create the cocktail. The record has not yet been registered by Guinness World Records.
National Pina Colada Day Jokes:
- A man enters a jazz bar in the Caribbean and orders a piña colada. He takes his first drink and sets it down. As he is gazing across the bar, a woman grabs his drink, pours it on his head, and stabs him with the decorative umbrella in his leg. The man asks the bartender, "Who's that woman?" The bartender replies, "She's the piano player's wife". The man walks over to the piano player and asks, "Do you know your wife poured a drink on me and stabbed me in the back?" The pianist replies, "No, but if you hum it, I'll play it."
- I only drink piña coladas twice a year: on National Pina Colada Day and when it's not National Pina Colada Day.
- A horse walks into a bar and orders a piña colada. The bartender asks, "Why the long face?"
- A Mayan couple are sitting together at a table. The Mayan wife asks her Mayan husband, "Do you want to come with me to drink a piña colada?" The Mayan husband replies, "I'm working on this calendar, but I guess if I don't finish it won't be the end of the world."
- I was going to write a joke about midgets drinking piña coladas, but I don't want to lower the bar.
National Pina Colada Day Quotes:
- "My point is, life is about balance. The good and the bad. The highs and the lows. The piña and the colada."
- Ellen DeGeneres, Seriously...I'm Kidding
- "If you like piña coladas, and getting caught in the rain. If you're not into yoga, if you have half-a-brain. If you like making love at midnight, in the dunes of the cape. I'm the lady you've looked for, write to me, and escape."
- Rupert Holmes, "Escape (The Piña Colada Song)"
- "We can go to the tropics. Sip piña coladas."
- Sean Kingston, "Take You There"
- "This time next week, I'll be sucking down piña coladas in a hot tub with six girls named Amber and Tiffany."
- Clive Owen as Dalton Russell, Inside Man (2006)
- "Excuse me? Excuse me, señor? May I speak to you please? I asked for a mai tai, and they brought me a piña colada, and I said no salt, NO salt for the margarita, but it had salt on it, big grains of salt, floating in the glass..."
- Stephen Root as Milton Waddams, Office Space (1999)
National Pina Colada Day Destinations:
- Take a vacation to San Juan, Puerto Rico, stay in the Caribe Hilton, and visit the hotel's Beachcomber Bar, the birthplace of the piña colada.
- Visit your favorite restaurant that serves piña coladas!
- Drive to a liquor store and buy a Bacardi Classic Cocktails Piña Colada or another ready-to-drink piña colada beverage!
- Enjoy the comfort of your own home, and mix your own piña colada with this amazing recipe!
- Stay home, and read about National Pina Colada Day on WeirdHoliday.com!
This holiday has also been called: Pina Colada Day, International Pina Colada Day, National Piña Colada Day, Piña Colada Day, and International Piña Colada Day!
July 10th is also Clerihew Day, Don't Step on a Bee Day, Nikola Tesla Day, and Teddy Bear Picnic Day!
National Pina Colada Day is celebrated in July which is: National Anti-Boredom Month, National Blueberry Month, National Cellphone Courtesy Month, National Grilling Month, National Hot Dog Month, National Ice Cream Month, and National Vacation Rental Month!
Do you have another interesting fact or joke about National Pina Colada Day or piña coladas? Leave a comment below and tell us what you think! We might even add your information to this article!